1. 10 MOMENTS in OPERATIONAL SOUND
come prepared to talk about its context, implications, modes of operation etc.
3. I Am Sitting in A(nother) Room experiments
4. MODES OF LISTENING (introduction)
10 MOMENTS in OPERATIONAL SOUND
The War of the Worlds (1938)
The Watergate Tapes (1974)
MP3 (People CAN hear the difference!)
FOR NEXT WEEK
1. RESEARCH MODES OF LISTENING (assigned)
a) Engage in the mode of listening you have been assigned. Experiment with different contexts in which this mode might produce different effects. Make notes.
b) Find two instances (apart from your exploration) in which this mode of listening occurs, in everyday life, the media etc.
2. INVENT A MODE OF LISTENING
The list of listening modes is not exhaustive. INVENT a new mode which emerges from reflection on the types of listening you engage in on a daily basis. (Nietzsche: originality is the capacity to name what is right in front of your (eyes) ears). NAME this new mode of listening. Bring in an example.
3. BROWSE THIS COLLECTION OF AUDITORY ILLUSIONS
4. LISTEN TO HACK MY HEARING (BBC)